26 September 2007

The missing item in the HoB statement

Over at T19, we find this, in a posting titled, "From the Bishops in New Orleans, a Key Deafening Silence on one Subject the Primates Addressed":
From the Tanzania Communique:

The Primates urge the representatives of The Episcopal Church and of those congregations in property disputes with it to suspend all actions in law arising in this situation. We also urge both parties to give assurances that no steps will be taken to alienate property from The Episcopal Church without its consent or to deny the use of that property to those congregations.

They said not a word about it. Not one.
Yes, that is missing. I wish they had addressed the subject, and I'll be interested to learn why not over the next few days. For now, may I just point out that the mention of pernicious lawsuits is a red herring. The conservatives always seem eager to move right past the preceding fact, which is that they're trying to take things that don't belong to them.

Example: suppose I donate a new Gospel book to the parish I serve. I move on to the next parish, and I think, "Gee, I really like that book. I think I'll take it with me." That's stealing, which is addressed quite clearly in the Bible as wrong. Now if I work out a deal with the parish ("It was a bit scuffed up, so we'll give it to you for a modest donation.") then I can remove it legally. It's like that with churches. We're not a congregational church, and these congregations need to get over their victim complex on this one. Don't try to steal, and you won't run afoul of the law.

No comments: